Monday, January 17, 2005

 

Looking back to last week

I think this blog thing is going to take a little bit of work to make sure that I post everyday. New habits and all that.

I realize I missed a lot from last week, and I will mention some of it as I go through the newspapers, but I did want to draw the reader's attention to an interesting column by George Will that appeared in Thursday's Washington Post ("No Ad Left Behind").

Now, after reading that column, re-read my post from last Saturday. I am afraid to say, George, that you are five days behind this intrepid blogger.

You'd think that Will would spent more time on politics when baseball is out of season. Guess the same thing happens to journalists as well as baseball players: old age ruins timing.

Yet another reason why blogs will leave traditional newspapers behind. Without some journalistic standards and a commitment to represent the public, though, blogs will never be the same watchdog force as the responsible news media were at one time. Personal agendas must be put aside in order to truly realize the potential of this new technology. In an age where the personal and the public are increasingly blurred, such a dichotomy is increasingly more difficult, and even unwanted. What will reporting look like in the post-modern age?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?